January 28, 2011
According To Gary Hitzig, M.D., if Acell’s Matristem for hair restoration works as predicted, many men and women suffering with common androgenic alopecia will no longer be forced live their lives feeling uncomfortable in their own skin.
His prediction: in one to two years it will all be over. However, many experts in the field have far less exuberance when it comes to these “miracle breakthrough” treatments.
Listen to Dr. Hitzig as he discusses his findings on last weeks broadcast of The Bald Truth:
Read What The Experts Have To Say and Join The Discussion:
Dr. Gary Hitzig Responds To Dr. John Cole’s Recent Analysis of The Use of ACell MatriStem In Surgical Hair Restoration
December 17, 2010
Surgical hair restoration expert, Dr. John Cole, recently published a post on BaldTruthTalk.Com titled “ACell, a Current Review of Applications in Hair Transplant Surgery.” In his final summary, Dr. Cole writes:
1. There is evidence that ACell improves FUE healing and full thickness 4 mm punch graft healing in terms of skin color.
2. There is evidence that ACell can regenerate hair in FUE extraction sites, but more work is necessary to insure this is not an isolated anecdotal occurrence.
3. There is no evidence that ACell improves the growth of plucked hair.
4. There is no evidence that ACell makes the growth of transplanted hair more “Robust”.
5. There is no evidence that ACell improves strip scar appearance.
6. There is qualitative evidence that ACell improves the feel of a strip scar in some instances, but it is difficult to understand how Dr. Cooley arrived at this conclusion .
7. There is no evidence that ACell induces transected hairs to regrow, but it might.
8. There is no evidence that plucked hairs regrow in the donor area, but they might.
9. There is evidence that plucked hairs will grow finer and result is poorer coverage than transplanted hair.
10. There is no evidence to conclude that “autocloning” occurs.
This review has evoked several questions, concerns and criticisms about the use of ACell MatriStem in surgical hair restoration.
This week Spencer Kobren spoke with with Gary Hitzig, M.D. about his impressions concerning the recent questions and criticism expressed by CIT/FUE pioneer, Dr. John Cole.
November 14, 2010
Since The Bald Truth first posted Spencer Kobren’s exclusive interviews with ACell MatriStem pioneers in hair restoration Gary Hitzig, M.D. and Jerry Cooley, M.D., the hair loss world has been buzzing with excitement. The number of emails being received by The Bald Truth, the IAHRS and The American Hair Loss Association have been overwhelming, illustrating just how hungry the world’s hair loss sufferers are for accurate information regarding this groundbreaking hair restoration technology.
As desperate as the hair loss community is to finally find a universally effective treatment for this devastating disease of the spirit, the hair loss industry recognizes this desperation and will likely find ways to exploit it. Our advice it to proceed with caution and realize that at this time, few physicians truly understand how to utilize ACell MatriStem in hair restoration correctly and that this process, even in the most capable hands, is still in its experimental stages.
Caveat Emptor “Let The Buyer Beware”
Spencer Kobren Interviews Dr. Gary Hitzig – The Pioneer In Using ACell MatriStem For Hair Restoration
November 6, 2010
Hopes are high for the use of ACell’s MatriStem in the world of hair restoration, but hair loss sufferers need to understand that effective results are both user and protocol dependant. Only time will tell which physicians are utilizing these experimental techniques effectively, and as many of you know, recent history has shown that when used incorrectly this extracellular matrix is completely useless.
There are specific methods of application and maintenance that must be adhered to when utilizing ACell MatriStem in all of its applications, and hair restoration is no different.
It’s important for the hair loss community to be fully informed and to have an accurate history of today’s groundbreaking developments. We also think it’s important to pay homage to those in the field who are leading the way with these cutting edge developments.
There is no doubt that the original pioneer for the use of ACell MatriStem in hair restoration is New York hair transplant surgeon Gary Hitzig, M.D., who has been experimenting with the product in his practice for the past couple of years.
On November 4, 2010 Spencer Kobren had the opportunity to speak with Dr. Hitzig about his groundbreaking experiments and about the true history of the use of ACell MatriStem in the fight against hair loss.
November 1, 2010